December 24, 2005

The Time is Down

Morning Workout
BIKE
4 Hours
Zone: Aerobic (Zone 1) / Lactate Threshold (Zone 2)

Random Comments: We did our first real hill ride of the training year on a 7 1/2 mile turning, looping, dipping, rolling joy of a climb. It's one of those climbs where when you get to the top, high above the clouds, you gaze down at the ocean peaking through the cascading green mountains and your eyes follow the curving of the road as it winds its way up the hill in a scene that is picture perfect for a Lexus car commercial. Maybe even BMW. I got a flat tire on the way up. Sure wish my bike had On*Star.

__________________________________________________________________

Merry Christmas eve, y'all! I've only got a few minutes here cause Cat's coming over now. We've got to bake some cookies and a cake, then head up to her parent's house for Christmas dinner. Her whole family will be there. I've met them all a few times - wonderful people. Well, I haven't met her brother Nick yet, but I'm going to guess he's wonderful people too. I'll get back to you on that once I have final confirmation.

Cat and I had a pretty good four hour ride today, despite my flat tire and tired legs. The last 20 miles of the ride went by incredibly fast - mostly because she and I were in a heated conversation about down time. Specifically, not enough of it. You see, she's under the impression that I'm always on the go. And, oftentimes I am. Cat is more of a laze around, go-with-the flow type person. I've always felt like I was an easy going, laid back, go-with-the-flow type person too. I know for a fact that I used to be. The problem is, I've changed over the years. And I realized that on the ride today. (Actually, I realized it about 4 seconds ago when I typed the last sentence, but the ride got me thinking about it.) I mean, I can still go-with-the-flow with the best of them, and when I lay back, man I go waaaaay back. But I also like structure and schedule. And the more I get older, the more things I cram onto my plate, and the more structure and schedule I impose on myself. It keeps me organized and focused. I even structure my downtime. Which raises the age-old question, (second to the bear shitting in the woods one) if there is structure to downtime, is it really downtime.

I wonder what happened to the structureless guy I used to be? Hmmm...I'll need to schedule some time to get in touch with that person again.

0 comments: