January 08, 2006

The Hurting

Afternoon Workout
BIKE
3 hours
Heart Rate Zone:
Didn’t bother to even care today

Random Comments: Catherine had two friends in from Minneapolis this weekend: Mark and Jay. Mark and Jay are bike racers. On-road, off-road, cyclocross….wherever there is a race, they bike. Don’t really care what the surface is like. Tarmac, dirt, snow. If they could find people willing to race bikes on the moon, they’d probably do it. Needless to say, they’re a tad better riders than Cat and I. Category 3 riders, to be specific. Whereas Catherine and I might be somewhere in the Category 29 zone, if there were even one that low. Which there isn’t. Being the wonderful mid-western fellas that they are, Mark and Jay amused us and went out on a little roll today (their second ride of the day, mind you). We climbed up Topanga Canyon. All in all it’s only about 7 or 8 miles up, not overly difficult. But boy-o, were my legs tired. And I could tell Cat was hurting too. Mostly because she’d say things like “I’m hurting.” Dead giveaway. But, as they say, what goes up must descend very quickly. And that we did, as I pedaled my little legs off to stay on the tail of Mark and Jay while we zipped around turns. Left and right. Right and left. Fun times, I tell ya. Fun times. Thank God I didn’t wear my heart rate monitor. I don’t even want to know what it said.

0 comments: