January 24, 2006

The Edge Of Tomorrow

You may have noticed that I haven't talked about work lately. You've noticed, right? I mean, tell me you've wondered at least a little bit...

The truth is that it has been a bit of a personally challenging month as it relates to work. And, hey, let's not beat around the bush on this one - I resigned from my job yesterday. Effective immediately, I will be consulting for the company over the next couple of months as we transition my responsibilities to their appropriate positions.

There are aspects of my job that have been very good. For instance, I have a tremendous amount of respect for my co-workers - for the most part they are all fun, intelligent and friendly people. Additionally, I think the company is really headed in a very positive direction; each new step opens up more opportunity for the company. Unfortunately, there have been a series of dramatic changes in my roles and responsibilities over the past six months. Changes that I have not entirely been a part of making. My job description now is quite different than what the job description was when I took the job. I actually printed the job descriptions out and put them side-by-side a few weeks ago. I diligently analyzed the differences, comparing every word in both columns and scrutinizing it's assumptions. I drew arrows and lines between the various job duties, I crossed out comments and circled others, I underlined, ex-ed out and notated - and then, a few minutes later, I stepped back and contemplated what my life had become. I tried to determine whether the new job description fit in with my personal strengths and overall goals in life. Clearly, I came to the conclusion that it does not. So I resigned.

And now here I am, awake at 4:45am. There is something very peaceful about this time of the morning. It seems like the entire world is asleep. The sun is still resting on the other side of the horizon and there is a quietness that descends on the world. In an hour the sun will rise, the world will open up and all will be reborn. Everyday is a new beginning, a new chapter in life. And so here I find myself once again, sitting on the edge of tomorrow, my legs dangling over the side, both excited and scared for the new beginnings of my life.

0 comments: