February 05, 2006

The Fourth Sport

Morning Workout
SWIM...
1000 meters
Main Set: 16 x 25 meters (on 15 seconds rest)

...BIKE... (trainer)
30 minutes
Heart Rate Zone: Aerobic Conditioning (Zone 3)

...RUN
2 hours 9 minutes
14.75 miles
Heart Rate Zone: Aerobic (Zone 1) / Lactate Threshold (Zone 2)

Random Comments: What a great workout. The swim was too short. The bike went by too quickly. And the run... I felt like I could've run forever.

_________________________________________________________________

What a great workout today. I was smiling throughout the run. Smiling as I ran up the hill. Smiling as I ran down. I felt like I could've gone on and on. Granted, there were a few little tweaks in the system that caused some concern on and off throughout the run. There was the piercing achilles pain that came so suddenly and disappeared three minutes later. There was the anti-ankle pain - that mysterious spot right below the shin and above the foot - that baffled me. Didn't even know I had a muscle there to strain. But that too went away fairly quickly. Then there was the stomach. About halfway through the run I got hungry. Really really hungry. I needed solid food in my stomach more than anything else. I mean, the stomach was in such distress I was heading towards nausea. The Cliff Shot just didn't cut it. Neither did the Powerbar Endurance liquid. So you know what I did? I ran faster. Hell, I didn't have any food with me what else was I supposed to do except try to get back as quickly as possible.

Nutrition, they say, is the fourth sport in triathlon. As it turns out, it's my weakest event. I'm trying to get better though; reading books, asking questions, trying new things each time I'm out there. So far nobody has recommended that I bring pizza on the run. I'm not giving up hope yet. I still have some more researching to do.

0 comments: