June 13, 2006

Quite A Predicapickle

Afternoon Workout
BIKE
55 minutes
Heart Rate Zone: Lactate Threshold (Zone 2)

Random Comments: Here’s the problem… my body needs 8 hours of sleep. That’s just a fact. I’m much more alert and less of a jerk when I get 8 hours each night. However, I’m training so much that I have to wake up early and go to sleep late in order to cram it all in. As a result, I usually only get 6 or 7 hours of sleep each night. I’m constantly tired, continually struggling to keep up with my body's needs but never being able to reach that tryptophin-laced carrot. After a few days of this minimal sleep, I crave the Rest days – that one day of the week when there is no exercise; when I can get to sleep early and sleep on through the night. And that’s exactly where the problem lies…

Throughout the week, the training makes me tired. All of the running, biking and swimming allows me to sleep soundly at night. On the rest days when I don’t train, my body gets all confused. As a result, it becomes much harder to sleep on those night. So the one night each week that I should be able to get a good night’s sleep, is the one night that my body can’t get a good night sleep. And every week I fall further and further into the hole of sleep dep, never being able to get the rest I need.

And that, my friend, is quite a predica-pickle.

0 comments: