October 29, 2005

Brrrr In My Mind

I've been living in Los Angeles for over 16 years, moved here from the east coast in 1989. I grew up with cold weather and snow. In fact, I went to school in upstate New York where the weather would drop down to 30 below. We'd go skiing in 3 degree temperatures. It was cold, but not unbearable. Ahh, but the times they sure have changed.

Cat and I woke up at 6:30 this morning to get ready for our 7:15 ride with Rich. We checked the temperature online to find it a brisk 53 degrees outside. 53 degrees?! Chills ran up and down my spine as I thought of the potential frostbite that was awaiting my fingers and toes. I quickly scampered into the bedroom and proceeded to dress in bike shorts, heavy riding tights, thick socks, three layers of shirts, arm warmers and full fingered gloves. I had so much clothing on, I felt like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man as I waddled out of the bedroom. Cat looked up at me, rolled her eyes and shook her head in the usual disbelief. No words need be exchanged - she's made fun of me enough for my over-dressing habits. I was determined to stay warm though. There's no way the Coldmeiser was going to recruit me into his icy 53 degree web today.

We finished our preparations and headed out on our bikes to meet Rich. As we rode slowly towards our meeting location at the beach, I see runners and walkers passing us by dolled out in nothing more than shorts and t-shirts. Are these people crazy, I think to myself. Here we are a mere 2 days from Halloween, and people have the gall to wear short sleeves in this unbearably cold weather. I suddenly realize that my body is damp. Being in the beginning stages of our warm-up, we had yet to really start the ride but sweat seemed to be draining from my pores. It's not possible that I've over-dressed... is it? It can't possibly be so. I refuse to accept it.

Weather has become a state of mind for me. I love the change of seasons. And I love October's Autumn the most. I adore the moment when the air becomes a bit crisp, the leaves change color and you need to reach for those sweaters that have been hibernating in the back of the closet over the summer months. Autumn is a warm cup of tea by the fireplace. It's staying in, huddled together on the couch, a blanket thrown over you to catch the fallen kernel's of popcorn, as you while away the day watching old movies you've longed to see again and again.

Every year come October, I instinctively reach for those sweaters and burrow my body into their warmth and comfort. I take out the autumn jackets and cuddle within them as I prepare to walk outside and feel alive in the crispness of the cool breeze. The fact is though, that every day in Santa Monica is sunny and 70s. It rarely varies. So as I head outside all snuggly and smiling in my sweaters and jackets, I work up a sweat before I even reach the front steps of my building. And by the moment my feet hit the sidewalk, I've already removed two to three layers and am left sadly standing in shorts and a t-shirt like the rest of the city.

But I refused to accept the realities of weather on the bike ride this morning. I didn't want to notice the 70 degree sunshine blanketing the coast. I wanted it to be cool and crisp... I wanted it to be October the way October should be. Maybe I did sweat a little too much and become overly fatigued on the ride. Perhaps I did over-dress just a wee bit. But it is two days before Halloween and there is no 70 degree sunshine that will make me let go of the happiness in my crisp Autumn memories.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! The blog is great. Keep em coming! That guy "Rich" sounds awesome. Is he single?

cheers,
Some Hot Chick

(btw, it's "Coldmeister")