July 16, 2006

Courage Is Knowing The Fear And Doing It Anyway

Morning Workout
RUN
1 hour 10 minutes
Heart Rate Zone: Aerobic (Zone 1) and, not that I wanted it, Lactate Threshold (Zone 2)

SWIM
3000 meters
Main Set: 3 x 1000 meters with 1 minute rest in between

Random Comments: The bags are packed. The bikes are shipped. The training is done. Guess all that's left to do now is show up.

I can do that.

My first Ironman is 6 days, 15 hours, 29 minutes and 17 seconds from right now. Umm...6 seconds. now 5.... now wait... 2. It's coming closer and there's nothing I can do to stop it. Not that I want to. I mean, part of me does. The part that is scared shitless, to be specific. The part that has rising levels of anxiety everytime I think of the start, the distance, the unknown. That's the part that wishes it had the time-stopping remote control at the press of a button. But apparently Adam Sandler has his hands on it and I'm not quite sure where he lives. So I try not to focus on the fear, doing my best to steer my mind to the excitement. That's a healthier emotion anyway.

I live in the moment and enjoy the ride. I visualize myself throughout the race. Feeling good, moving smoothly. And I think of the finish line, and me crossing it. Of me becoming an Ironman, achieving my goals, living my dream. And I gotta tell you, I am excited and eager. And completely petrified. But they tell me that's normal.

I'm normal. Go figure.

So right now, I can't wait for the race to start. Cause I know all I have to do is move, breathe, eat, drink.
That's all.
Move, breathe, eat, drink.

I can do that.
I can do this.
I know I can.

0 comments: