July 01, 2007

The New New News.

Catherine and I swam the Pacific Open Water Challenge this morning. It was a 1 mile swim in the Pacific Ocean off of Long Beach. Neither of us felt like we had a great race. In fact, we felt like it sucked. We were hurried and anxious and didn't get any warm-up whatsoever. The first time my face hit the water was after the starting gun.

The water was a bit choppy and the taste of gasoline in the Long Beach Bay made me feel like up-chucking. I pushed as hard as I could and felt like giving up halfway through.

However, I just looked at the final results online. And guess what...I came in 3rd in my age group. Sure there were only 11 people in my age group and yes, there were only 66 men overall. But I came in 3rd. Never in my life have I come in top 3 in a sporting event.

Never.

This is a new thing.
It feels good.
I feel change. And it all seems so apropos.
Because today is Sunday, July 1.
Today something different is happening.
It is a a new day.
It is a new week.
It is a new month.
It is a new moon.*
I have a new Ironman to conquer.
I have new inspiration.
There are new beginnings.
There are new stories.
We need a new blog template.

This time around, it should all be a little bit easier to swallow.


*Please note that it is not really a new moon today. It was a full moon last night and this morning. Which is close to a new moon. Same concept, but "full moon" doesn't quite work as well as "new moon" what with the mac-daddy word flow I had going.

*Please note, Part Deux, Catherine also came in 3rd in her age group!!! Woooohoooo!!! Aren't we just the Top 3 couple for a change.

3 comments:

Trihardist said...

Swimming in Long Beach? Eww.

Congratulations on your achievemnt (and on not upchucking in that nasty nasty water).

And I like the new layout.

No Wetsuit Girl said...

Congratulations!

Maybe you should take a round of general antibiotics after submerging yourself in that sludge though...

Robin said...

Total congrats on your top 3 age group finish! And I agree that a general round of antibiotics might be in order....ewwwey water!