September 13, 2007

The Dangling Carrot

It is 7:00 on Thursday morning right now. I've been up since 5:30 and figured I could use the time to crank out some of the SOS race report. It's been taking quite awhile to write it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don't have a tremendous amount of time to spend on it, so I try to cram in a few minutes at night and some early morning hours. Secondly, it seems to be turning into a novel. I'm really trying my hardest to keep it short, honestly I am. But as we all know, I'm not real good at the short story. Toss on an eight-stage event and all of the sudden I need to start finding an agent and publisher.

Catherine just left for a 16 mile run. Who runs 16 miles on a Thursday morning?! It seems so odd to me. Long runs are for weekends, not Thursday mornings. Then I remembered that we are running the New York Marathon in less than 2 months. Uh-oh.

The funny thing is that I can't imagine myself running 16 miles all at once right now. It's not because my body is physically sore, it's not. My problem is all mental. Sure I can do a race that has 18.7 miles of running. In fact, I just did one four days ago. But for goodness sakes, that run was split up with some refreshing swims. 16 miles without stopping?! Hell no. Even worse, 26.2 without stopping?!

I decided to reward myself this week with rest. No exercise at all. So far it's been working out well - I've made it four days. But, honestly, I don't know how long this will last. I'm not a good rester.

There's a marathon ahead that apparently I just started getting nervous for. And then I've got this Ironman thingy.

I can see the carrot in front of me. I keep swiping for it but it's just out of reach.
I guess I just need to go a little harder.

3 comments:

Bandersnatchi said...

16mi on a Thursday? Why not?
I ran home from work last night - 25kms.
I feel okay this am, a bit stiff but okay.

Marathon in 2 months? Better get back in harness.

When you get the time let us have the novel version of the race report.

PoC

No Wetsuit Girl said...

Chill out if it'll make you hungry for that marathon (and/or that carrot). Race day does amazing things, sometimes you'll do ANYTHING so you don't have to walk up to someone, hand them your chip, and say, "It's too hard, I quit." Sometimes you'll even run an extra 10 miles to avoid it. I'm sure New York will fine, stop stressing!

Anonymous said...

Sit back, enjoy the hot dogs. NYC will take care of itself :)